Lauren A. Valkenaar
Lauren is an effective business litigator and has a track record of securing clients’ victories in cases with millions of dollars in dispute. She focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation concerning contractual provisions, breach of fiduciary duties and fraud for clients across many industries, including technology, cybersecurity, real estate, construction, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, financial institutions, and transportation. She is experienced in all stages of the litigation process, from pre-suit investigation through motions practice, trial and appellate procedures.
Lauren has been heavily involved with prosecuting and defending commercial claims across the nation in both state and federal jurisdictions. She is experienced in conducting corporate internal investigations and advising clients through business decisions when litigation has been threatened. Lauren has litigated fiduciary conduct arising from trust and estates disputes, pursued litigation to halt competitors’ false advertising, validated bonds through expedited trial proceedings and defended against election challenges.
- Texas State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- J.D. – Valedictorian, Summa Cum Laude, St. Mary’s School of Law
- B.A. – Magna Cum Laude, Political Science, Trinity University
While in law school, Lauren was an advocate on the External Advocacy Moot Court Team and served as Executive Managing Editor for the St. Mary’s Law Journal. During her first year of law school, she was awarded “Best Brief” in her law school section and “Best Advocate” in the annual competition judged by the Fourth Court of Appeals judiciary. Lauren was also a member of the John Marshall Harlan Honor Society and the Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honors Fraternity.
Awards and Recognition
- Top Attorney in San Antonio, San Antonio Magazine, 2021
- Outstanding Women in Law, Scene in S.A., 2021
- Top Young Attorneys, Texas Monthly, 2021
- Texas Rising Stars, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2021
- 10 Under 10 Honoree – St. Mary’s University School of Law, 2017
- Best S.A. Lawyers – Business Litigation, SA Scene Magazine, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021
- Best S.A. Female Lawyer – Business Litigation, SA Scene Magazine, 2021
- Rising Star – Business & Commercial Litigation, SA Scene Magazine, 2017-2021
- Feature, “Women in Law Raising the Bar,” San Antonio Women Magazine, May/June 2019
- Feature, “Striving for Excellence,” Attorney At Law Magazine, October 2019
- Presenter, “Hindsight is 20/20: Contract Litigation and Risk Management During COVID-19 and Beyond,” Association of Corporate Counsel | South Central Texas, 2020
- Speaker, “Business Ethics and Corporate Responsibility Course,” Greehey School of Business, St. Mary’s University, 2019
- Speaker, “E-Discovery and Digital Evidence Course” taught by Hon. Xavier, 2021 Rodriguez, St. Mary’s University School of Law, 2017-2020
- Presenter, “Commerce in the Digital Age: Advertising, Privacy and E-Payments,” Association of Corporate Counsel | South Central Texas, 2018
- Presenter, “Consumer Protection Law Update,” ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2017
- Presenter, “Contract Litigation and Recovery of Attorney’s Fees,” San Antonio Young Lawyers Association, 2020
- Presenter, “Real Estate Litigation: Specific Performance and Other Tools,” State Bar of Texas 14th Annual Advanced Real Estate Strategies Conference, 2020
- “Sue Me Already,” The Brand Protection Blog, July 7, 2016.
- “Long Legal Battle Ends with Jury Victory for Coca-Cola in Pomegranate Juice Dispute,” The Brand Protection Blog, April 5, 2016.
- Litigation Developments Contributor, Advertising Disputes and Litigation Committee, American Bar Association Antitrust Division, 2014-2017
- “No More Pretending Irreparable Harm: 9th Circuit Reverses Preliminary Injunction Favoring Platters Founder,” The Brand Protection Blog, December 5, 2013.
- “Protection Against Zombie Trademarks,” The Brand Protection Blog, October 31, 2013.
- “Civil Liability Approaches to the Stolen Valor Epidemic,” 44 St. Mary’s L.J. 835 (2013).
- Co-Author, “Specific Performance and Other Remedies in Earnest Money Contract Disputes,” State Bar of Texas 14th Annual Advanced Real Estate Strategies Conference, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Leadership San Antonio: Class 44
- Respite Care of San Antonio: Board of Directors, Board Development Chair
- Defense Counsel of San Antonio: Director, Past President
- Bexar County Woman’s Bar Association: Member
- William S. Sessions Inn of Court: Member
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Division: Member
- San Antonio Bar Association, Litigation Section: Member
- St. Mary’s School of Law Alumni Association: Member