Peter B. Pope
Peter Pope’s practice focuses on representing clients in civil litigation matters, with an emphasis on representing domestic and foreign insurers in complex commercial disputes, coverage litigation, excess insurance coverage, directors and officers coverage, and professional liability defense.
Peter has extensive experience representing insurers in both coverage disputes and first- and third-party litigation related to claims arising out of commercial general liability, property and builders risk policies. He is also experienced in advising insurers regarding litigation strategies related to emerging legislation and its impact on state and federal jurisdiction.
Peter has a wide range of experience representing both individuals and businesses in a variety of disputes as both plaintiff and defendant, including breach of contract, construction defect, personal injury, and premises liability litigation. He also has experience representing individuals in qui tam whistleblower litigation, acting as liaison between clients and the United States Department of Justice.
Outside of the office, Peter enjoys being an active member of the community and is actively involved in his church, having volunteered as a teacher in both adult and children’s programs and served as a deacon. Peter an avid fan of his alma mater, the Baylor Bears, and contributes as Co-Managing Editor of Baylor’s SB Nation website OurDailyBears. He also enjoys podcasting, overseeing the site’s podcasts and hosting the podcast for football.
- Represented insurers in related to property damage litigation across the state of Texas, in both state and federal courts.
- Represented domestic insureds on behalf of domestic insurers in third-party construction defect litigation.
- Represented insurers in declaratory judgment actions seeking to confirm denial of coverage based on applicable policy exclusions.
- Texas State Bar
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- 2010 – J.D., Baylor University School of Law
- 1987 – B.B.A., Management Information Systems, Baylor University
While in law school, Peter was active as a Student Ambassador, educating prospective students on the advantages offered by Baylor Law School. He also was awarded “Best Brief” in the 2008 Dawson & Sodd Moot Court Competition and received the 2009 Weaver Lonely Spouse Award, awarded to a happily married student living away from his or her spouse while attending law school.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Insurance Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Member