Manuel’s practice focuses on civil litigation matters, with an emphasis on insurance coverage litigation and advice, professional liability defense, and complex business disputes.
Manuel advises domestic and foreign insurers in complex coverage matters and represents insurers in litigation arising out of directors and officers, management liability, professional liability, pollution liability, commercial general liability, and excess insurance policies. Manuel also advises insurers in connection with the drafting of policy provisions and endorsements. He also has advised insurers on professional liability claims against law firms and represented law firms in malpractice suits.
In addition, Manuel has represented businesses in a wide range of commercial litigation disputes. He prides himself on understanding his clients’ business objectives and collaborating with them to achieve effective solutions that further their goals.
- Representing underwriters of D&O, professional indemnity, and excess policies in numerous suits brought in state and federal courts relating to the failure of Stanford Financial Group. In one notable case brought in federal court in Houston, underwriters obtained a finding that indicted directors and officers had engaged in acts of money laundering, triggering a never-before-litigated money laundering exclusion.
- Representing underwriters of a D&O policy issued to bank directors in a declaratory judgment action brought in federal court in Atlanta concerning the applicability of an insured versus insured exclusion and interrelated wrongful acts exclusion.
- Representing a CGL insurer in breach of contract, Stowers, and bad faith action brought in federal court in Texas.
- Advising and representing domestic CGL insurer in coverage dispute arising out of construction-defect litigation involving a general contractor and numerous subcontractors.
- Representing domestic CGL insurer in pursuing subrogation claims against subcontractors in connection with a construction defect lawsuit against a general contractor.
- Representing CGL and excess insurers in declaratory judgment action brought in federal court in Texas.
- Representing underwriters of pollution legal liability policies in coverage dispute involving a variety of claims for coverage, including claims for remediation costs and litigation expenses.
- Representing underwriters of pollution legal liability policy in coverage dispute in state court in Arizona.
- Representing a law firm in legal malpractice claim brought against an attorney of the firm in federal court in Florida.
- Representing a mortgage company in lender liability lawsuit tried to a jury in Texas state court.
- Representing underwriters of a Management Liability Policy issued to a health care facility in a declaratory judgment and breach of contract action brought in federal court in Pennsylvania.
- Representing underwriters in declaratory judgment action arising out of legal malpractice claims made against insured law firm’s former partners.
- Representing insurer in Texas state court action alleging insurer’s agent wrongfully induced insured to purchase unnecessary insurance products.
- Advising and representing domestic CGL insurer in coverage dispute with construction-materials manufacturer arising out of dozens of claims against manufacturer for allegedly faulty product.
- Advising domestic insurers with respect to lawsuits by former employees and/or their families for catastrophic workplace injuries.
- Texas State Bar
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- 2007 – J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law
- 2004 – B.A., with honors, The University of Texas
Awards and Recognition
- Leadership San Antonio Class 40
- Rising Star, SA Scene Magazine, 2017
- Presentation: From the Pollution Exclusion to the Pollution Liability Policy, where he discussed recent developments in the application of the pollution exclusion and its effect on policies issued for pollution liability
- Climate Change Poker: What’s in the Cards for the Insurance Industry, where he presented on the ways that climate change is and will continue to impact various insurance product lines
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Family Violence Prevention Services, Board Member, (2012 to present)
- Rotary Club of San Antonio, Young Members Board (2016 to present)